Sunday, May 29, 2011

She's Here!!!

Introducing Penelope Jane Walser. Born 5/26/11 at 8:56am. 9lb 3oz and 22 in long.






My c-section on Thursday went well. Chance stayed by me the whole time and kept me calm. He was even brave towards the end and took a peek over the blue curtain to see the surgery. I however, wanted no part of hearing, let alone seeing what was happening.
Penelope came out and soon let out a reassuring cry. On her way out however, she took a big gulp of fluid. So as I was still on the table watching her get all checked out, the doctors spend a lot of the time suctioning fluid out of her. I couldn't believe all of the stuff that they got out of her. Her heart rate was also a little fast, and her breathing wasn't normal. So they took her to the Special Care Nursery for observation.
After my surgery was done I was taken back into my room for recovery, but was really bummed that I hadn't yet been able to hold her. They ended up keeping Penelope in the nursery for a couple days to monitor her heart rate and breathing. The first and second day you could hear her breathing...which isn't normal, kind of like snoring while awake. Her oxygen levels we low and so she had to get oxygen through a breathing tube. They also started her on antibiotics through an iv and that is how they had to feed her too. They couldn't let me try and start breastfeeding until she could better control her breathing. Chance was able to go to the nursery and visit her, and my family was able to see her through the window.
On Friday morning I was able to go to the nursery and see her, but still couldn't hold her. Then Friday night I was finally allowed to hold her. It was amazing and I was in awe that this was really my baby! She's just beautiful. Her breathing was under control and so I was allowed to start breastfeeding her.
Saturday was big day. Chance's parents and sister arrived from Columbus. I was able to continue to breastfeed her. She improved every time I saw her. Saturday around 3:30pm my baby girl was finally able released from the Special Care Nursery and able to come to my room. Everyone was able to hold her...after much anticipation!
That night Chance and I had her to ourselves for the first time! It was exciting and scary (even though help was only a nurse-button-push away). We were grateful for the experience to have our first night with her while still at the hospital. It was a long night and only gave us a glimpse of what we are in for for the next few months. Several times we looked at each other, totally clueless, amazed that we are PARENTS! We felt, and still feel, totally overwhelmed, under-qualified, and humbled, to have Miss Penelope Jane in our care. We love her so much already and are so excited for everything that is to come.
Today, Sunday, both Penelope and I got cleared to go home. Chance's sister Kim and her family came and saw us at the hospital before we left. Then off we went. We are still getting settled into live at home, but we are all doing great and loving our little PJ!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! For some reason, I thought you were having a boy. Girls are good first children I think so that's cool and her name is adorable. Good luck! I'm glad she's okay now.

    ReplyDelete